Essential Oils have been around for a very long time – but it seems they’ve become increasingly more popular over the last decade. I started using them when I was about 14 years old during my curious new-teenager phase. During this time, I was also struggling with relaxing and sleeping, and I’d read the benefits of lavender oil aiding in that particular department. Since then, I’ve learned so much more about Essential Oils and how truly essential they are in my life. Especially now being pregnant.
The third trimester is a genuinely daunting place to be. Everything hurts and swells, nesting becomes a massive part of your daily (and nightly) routine, and anxiety becomes the norm emotion when you realize you don’t get to decide precisely what moment your baby will make its way into the world.
*This post may contain affiliate links that when purchased through will provide me with a small commission at NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. This helps keeps my website and business up and running!*
20 Essential Oils SAFE for the 3rd Trimester
*This list is interactive – meaning there is a link provided on the name of each essential oil. Each link will bring you to a guide page that tells you all about the oil: where it comes from, what it can be used for, and the benefits.*
- (Roman) Chamomile
- Ginger – helps immensely with tummy aches and acid reflux during pregnancy!! Don’t want to use the essential oil? Try these Ginger Drops to aid in nausea, support healthy digestion, and ease stomach discomfort.
- Lemon – One of my favorites!
- Neroli Touch
- Frankincense – One of my favorites! This oil has tremendously helped me with stretch marks and itchy skin over the past few weeks.
- Rose (Rosa damascena)
- Cypress combine cypress, geranium, tea tree, and lavender oil (2 drops each) with 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel to treat pregnancy hemorrhoids! Use a cotton ball or tissue to apply to affected area.
The past nine months have been full of essential oil research, and I am so happy that many of my favourite oils made the “safe list.” Unfortunately, there are also quite a few that you’ll want to stay away from! Not only can some of these be harmful to that sweet baby in your belly, but they could even induce your labour too soon. Please don’t risk it! Stay away from the oils on the following list throughout your pregnancy:
25 Essential Oils UNSAFE for Pregnancy
- Clary Sage (Although good for labour, Clary Sage should not be used throughout pregnancy before this stage.)
- Juniper Berry
You’ll want to avoid these oils during all stages of pregnancy – but even more so during the first and third trimesters. These trimesters are when the baby is the most vulnerable.
As the end of pregnancy approaches, I often think about the things I put into my body more and more. What is truly safe for me? For the baby? Essential oils have started me on the journey of making more conscious decisions for myself. Researching takes up a lot of time, though. I know that it’s okay to take some medications while pregnant and which ones to avoid, but I’ve been working so hard towards a natural journey that all the research and reading is worth it in the end!
Ariella is almost here, and I want to show her all the fantastic resources we can get right from the Earth.